Memorial Middle School traces its
origin to the year 1937. It was during that year that the Marist
Brothers constructed St. Joseph’s Academy. The Academy was to remain a
part of Laredo’s educational institutions until the year 1973 when the
Marist Brothers decided to cease operations at their prestigious
It was the hope and desire of the Order that the building continue to
render services to the youth of Laredo. In November of 1973, the Laredo
Independent School District purchased the building and overtook its
renovation in order to help alleviate the crowded conditions at Nixon
High School. In September of 1974, the old venerated St. Joseph’s
Academy reopened its doors as the Nixon High School Freshman Annex.
It is now with great pride that the school embarks on a new mission.
Beginning with the 1983-1984 school year, the facility served as a
Middle School, housing grades six, seven, and eight. Students who
attended Sanchez, Ochoa, Buenos Aires, and J. J. Martin were serviced by
this middle school which proudly bears on its masthead the name
“Memorial” in honor of all Laredoans who served their country in the
The American Bald Eagle was selected as its mascot since it is the symbol of the United States.
Red, black, and white were selected as the school colors. Red because
it is one of the colors or our American flag, Black to show that we
mourn and shall never forget those who paid the supreme sacrifice while
protecting our liberty and our ways of life, and White, because of the
purity of purpose of the American Armed Forces. (Yearbook 1989)
After two years of reconstruction our students and faculty who have
been relocated in the old school grounds of Lamar Middle School moved
back to the brand new building on August, 2005.